All men are threatened by baldness … And women are not spared. Can we treat her hair and the fight against hair loss range of a sudden? To find out, we interviewed Dr. Richard Aziza, aesthetic plastic surgeon and specialist in the scalp and author of “Hair loss, what solutions.” According to him, a healthy lifestyle is important … but not enough.
Doctissimo: The power allows it to keep her hair healthy?
Dr. Aziza: Hair is a reflection of how we live! When we’re stressed, tired, sick, this has an impact on our hair. It becomes dull, brittle, and so on. And our food is a factor that affects our hair. Balanced eating is important to bring the roots all the elements necessary for the manufacture of hair, to preserve this great flexibility and vitality touted by advertisers. The hair of essential food, the protein-rich sulfur amino acids (meat, fish ….) And vitamins B and PP for example.
Doctissimo And all shampoos that promise to “feed” the hair, are they effective?
Dr Aziz: As far as I know, cosmetics do not cross the skin barrier … But this is not what shampoos are unnecessary. Because each hair has a sebaceous gland. Or shampoo for the treatment of hyper or hyposécrétions that make the hair too fat or too dry. And they can give volume, thanks to their electrostatic properties. And contrary to popular belief, wash their hair often does not promote hair loss.
Doctissimo: At this point, is this a good diet can reduce hair loss?
Dr Aziz: It is important to eat varied, making sure to provide hair with the nutrients they need. If deficiencies can threaten the health of the hair, by contrast, the excess can be harmful. Thus, people who are too fat diet and those who suffer from high cholesterol are threatened with loss of hair. And paradoxically, some medicines to fight against high cholesterol levels can, by their side effects, also promote the fall …
But we must be aware that hair loss is genetically programmed: diet can prevent!
Hair fall (45 to 60 per day) and renewed permanently. The normal hair loss is predominant in the late summer and spring. Hair loss hair above 60 per day is considered excessive.
The causes of hair loss are numerous.
Among the diffuse hair loss, the most common are the common hair loss (androgenic alopecia, male and female) and telogen effluvium (after a high fever, pregnancy, a drug or a severe). The anagen effluvium leads about him a sudden hair loss after chemotherapy or during the pelade. The genetic hair loss occur at birth or rather in childhood (moniletrix syndrome anagen hair falling, ectodermal dysplasia).
The hair loss can be found in localized part of the male androgenic alopecia (gulfs, tonsure), infections by fungi (ringworm) of pelade plate, induced by the alopécies ups (trichotillomania, braids and hair) or cicatricial alopecia (lupus erythematosus, lichen, folliculitis décalvante, central centrifugal scarring alopecia, alopecia frontal fibrosing post-menopausal …). Tumors and skin growths also accompanied a localized hair loss (Sebaceous hamartoma, basal cell carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma).
The responsibility of stress has often been the cause of hair loss but has not previously been confirmed by scientific studies. However, we are all victims of stress induced by the events of everyday life, we must consider the role of stress when hair loss occurs in the weeks following an emotion with an intensity abnormally high.
The effective treatment of hair loss needs to determine the cause.
• The telogenes effluvium may indicate support for a deficiency (iron, vitamin B12) or a thyroid problem but they usually recover without treatment after 3 to 4 months (after pregnancy, fever, surgery ect …). The Effluvium telogenes induced by a drug (isotretinoin anticholesterol, anticoagulant …) require whenever possible replacement therapy with another drug.
• The anagen effluvium chemotherapy may to some extent, be minimized through prevention (helmet refrigerant).
• The skin and the general conditions which cause hair loss should receive specific treatment tailored to the specific case. Ringworm requires an antifungal treatment by systemically. Treatment of lichen uses corticotherapy local or general Intralesional and sometimes synthetic antimalarial (Plaquenil). The cicatricial alopecia treatment are difficult, they require the use of an expert from the scalp. Once the reconstruction process stabilized by hair transplant is sometimes an option.
• The congenital alopécies may benefit from a hair restoration by transplantation of hair or hair of an addition.
• The pelade small plates often heal quickly without treatment but may recur while pelades largest involving rapid that uses local corticosteroid (lotion), intralesional (injections in the scalp) or rarely corticotherapy General. The puvathérapie the dioxyanthranol and application of a sensitizing substance (diphencyprone) treatments are often recommended.
The androgenic alopecia top of the skull and forehead is in men and women, but mainly affects men. Age of onset varies. It is often hereditary.
The diffuse alopecia on the entire scalp is predominantly female.
In children have included the Trichotillomania (he pulls himself hair, often in secret), the total rare pelade décalvante and ringworm Tønder (but in this case it is limited plaques with crusts and suppuration )
How to know if the fall is abnormal?
For a tensile test, hair unwashed for 3 days, on 10 it would pull hair over 2.
-Many medications can be involved:
chemotherapy, anticoagulants, androgens (among other things contained in the anabolic) androgenic progestins, lithium, antidepressants, neuroleptics, antiepileptics, antialdostérone, antithyroid synthetic derivatives of cortisone
iron deficiency (pregnancy, lactation, chronic bleeding, etc …)
malnutrition or undernutrition (backgrounds, diets, anorexia nervosa)
-Some endocrine diseases:
Front row: hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism
Much more rarely hypopituitarism or hyperprolactinemia (disturbances in the pituitary gland)
excess androgens (hormones masculinisantes) absolute or relative (menopause)
* If one of the reasons cited above is found, on trafficking.
* Avoid abuse hair: braids, perms, brushing.
* Among women, where contraceptive use a non-androgenic progestin (desogestrel / ethinylestradiol)
* Fight against seborrhea (oily hair with dandruff and itching) with suitable shampoo, antifungal, shampoo oil Cade (film)
This product is available in lotion under several different brands (Alostil, Regain)
As an anecdote, it was used as a tablet anti-hypertensive.
Lotion 2%, apply morning and evening for several months (except pregnancy, lactation). In case of failure after 4 months in humans, then go to Alostil 5%.
The beneficial effect of Minoxidil cease as soon as treatment is stopped. The product is not reimbursed, it is a real financial investment, and like any medication not reimbursed, the price is free so compare prices! !
* Promestriéne solution, local application, suitable for both sexes.
* Propecia: only in humans, 1comprimé per day for at least 6 months. Not reimbursed
* Solution ultimate micrografts hair collected in a dense area.
Not reimbursed and expensive.